Health and Physical Education is concerned with total health of the learner and the community. Besides physical health, it includes mental and emotional health of the learners. Health is often a state of physical, mental, emotional, social and spiritual well-being and not merely the absence of disease.
In this respect, it is a truism to say that the practice of healthy living will serve as the foundation for Physical Education. It is envisaged that any effort to promote aesthetic values at the school level will include a natural esteem for physical well-being. The mastery of the body, its powers and qualities, requires knowledge, methodical training and exercise. The skills and capacities need to be developed, the muscles and nerves trained, the senses cultivated and hygienic and proper dietary habits inculcated for this purpose.
Therefore, provision has been made in the school curriculum for Health and Physical Education imbued with Life Skills.
The ubiquitous digital presence can be an added resource for the student, teacher educator and the teacher. It provides endless possibilities of resorting to online resources to add value to PE. CBSE in consultation with MHRD and Ministry of Sports, Govt. of India has attempted to integrate and mainstream Health and Physical Education across the secondary and senior secondary levels.
At ISN, physical education is given equal importance as academics and students of all age groups i.e. from KG to class XII take active part in sports and games to develop the following objectives :
* Develop awareness among students, regarding the importance of physical fitness in individual and social life including Life Skills and make them physically, mentally and emotionally fit so that they develop personal and social qualities that will help them to be good human beings.
* To take action individually and collectively to protect and promote (i) own health (ii) health of family members and (iii) health of the surrounding community and seeking help when required from available community resources.
* To develop interest in exercise, sports and games for self-satisfaction and make it a part of life and to enhance inner qualities like - self-mastery, discipline, courage, confidence and efficiency.
* To create awareness among children about rules of safety in appropriate hazardous situations to avoid accidents and injuries. To acquaint them with first-aid measures about common sickness and injuries.
* To help children learn correct postural habits in standing, walking, running, sitting and other basic movements so as to avoid postural defects and physical deformities and thus help them to become confident, assertive, emotionally stable, independent and self-controlled.
* To help strengthen peer relationships, social bonding, buddy mentorship and team camaraderie.
* To develop more positive attitude towards challenges, winning and losing, thus preparing students for life and for the workplace.
ISN is well equipped with both outdoor and indoor game facilities. The school has three well developed grounds for basketball, football and kho-kho. There is also facility for playing badminton, volley ball, throw ball etc. Students get ample opportunity to play and thus have an all-round holistic development. The school also has facility for indoor activities like caroms, chess, table tennis etc. Competitions at both inter and intra school levels are organised which gives the students enough exposure to compete with members of other schools.
Students seeking admission must meet the requirements set by the school. A corresponding scale of age is fixed for the successive classes.
Please see the Admission Guidelines for more information. For further enquiry please contact Indian School Nizwa - Administration department.
Various teaching aids like audio visuals, specimens etc. are used in the day to day classroom teaching. Journals for all the subjects as well as around more than 1000 books are also available for reading in the library.